Looking to obtain a driving license in Bengaluru, Karnataka? You can now easily do so. In Karnataka, to be able to drive your car and/ or two-wheeler vehicles, you must first obtain your ‘Learner’s License’ and then acquire a ‘Permanent Driving License’ within six months. You could even get your slot for obtaining your permanent driving license test merely one month after getting the learners license. There is a distinct process to renew your license, apply for a lost license and international license.
Karnataka state strictly follows all traffic regulations and laws. These are expected to be diligently followed by everyone. The applicants must first give a written, theoretical, verbal or online test to certify that they have a decent understanding of the traffic rules, road customs, protocols, traffic laws and regulations. Getting a driving license in Bengaluru, Karnataka has now become a fairly quick process.
- Eligibility for Getting a Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Application Process for Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Documents Required for Obtaining a Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving License
- Application form to renew Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Types of Driving Licenses issued in Bengaluru, Karnataka:
- International Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
Eligibility for Getting a Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- You must be a minimum age of 18 years or above to apply for your permanent licence and be able to lawfully drive your private motor vehicle.
- You must first acquire a valid learner’s licence.
- You must submit the application form after a minimum period of 30 days and within 180 days of the date of the issue mentioned on your learner’s licence.
- If you are a minimum age of 20 years old and already possess your Learner’s License, you could even apply for commercial vehicle license.
- All applicants must be up to date with the traffic laws and regulations.
Application Process for Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
In order to obtain your driving license in Bengaluru, you can follow the given steps.
- To get a license, first, you need to take LLR from the RTO office.
- Visit your nearest RTO to collect your application form or directly apply through a motor driving school.
- You may also download and print the application form from the website.
- After the required documents (passport sized photos, residence address proof, ID proof etc.) are submitted, you will get a slot for giving your preliminary test to check how familiar you are with the regulations, traffic laws and road rules.
- Once you have passed the test, a learner’s license will be given to you.
- You could opt for the next available slot after a month given that you are confident to go for your final test.
- This is a practical test taken in a dual-controlled car to ensure that the applicants are comfortable managing the vehicle on the road. The driving test is closely monitored by a certified official from the transport department.
- A valid license is then issued in accordance with the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 by the Karnataka state government.
- After completion of your driving test, a Licence is issued within a week’s time. Remember, a driving license is valid for a specific period of time. The validity is clearly mentioned on the license itself.
- A driving license for a private vehicle has a validity of up to 20 yrs or up to the age of 50, whichever is earlier. However, a commercial driving license has a validity of up to three years only.
Documents Required for Obtaining a Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Form No.4 (driving license application)
- An attested copy of any of the following:
- Ration card (with affidavit) or
- Voter’s ID card or
- A certified copy of your Voter List or
- Valid passport or
- Life insurance policy which is at least 6 months old and has latest receipt or
- Your employer’s certificate if you are employed with the Local Bodies/ Central Government – State Government supported by an attested copy of your employee Identity Card.
- Valid Age Proof (an attested copy of any of the following):
- Birth certificate
- 10th standard mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from school with your date of birth mentioned over it
- PAN card
- Any one from the following will be accepted as valid Permanent address proof document:
- Aadhar card
- Your residential electric bill
- LIC bond
- Voter Id
- Ration card
- Residential agreement for your current Bengaluru address
- Rental agreement along with electric Bill
- Rental agreement along with gas bill
- Photographs (6 Passport sized photographs for learners license, 1 Passport sized photograph for your driving license)
- The required fee for issue of license. (Rs. 50 for learner’s license, Rs. 150 for laminated driving license).
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving License
When your driving license is stolen, misplaced or damaged, duplicate license can be obtained by following the specified procedure. The same procedure can be used to obtain change of address on the driving license.
- In the case of stolen or misplaced license, file an FIR immediately with the local police.
- Obtain the required form, and proceed to your RTO where your original license was issued.
- Submit all required documents for verification, after which photos for the renewed license may also be taken. In general, the expired license is seized and the renewed license sent to your address via speed post.
Documents Needed for Applying for a Duplicate Driving License at the RTO
- Application Form for duplicate
- FIR copy for lost/stolen license
- Original Licence if available in torn or spoilt condition
- Attested photocopy of the original (lost) drivers licence.
- Details of your driving license
- Address Proof document for reference
- Passport size photograph
- Age proof document for reference
Application form to renew Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
Once the permanent driving license has been obtained, it is generally valid for a period of 20 years, or until obtaining the age of 50. When either of these situations occur, renewal of the license is necessary. Candidates must apply for renewal 30 days before the expiry date of the license. Requirements include:
- Duly filled in application for renewal form (Form 9), available online.
- Health clearance certificate from a certified medical practitioner stating that the candidate is fit to drive.
- Previous (expiring) driving license in original.
- Valid proof of age and residence in original with photocopies.
- Passport size photographs.
Visit your nearby RTO office in Bengaluru and submit an application for renewal along with 3 passport size photographs and your original driving license. Your renewed license is usually delivered on the very same day.
Types of Driving Licenses issued in Bengaluru, Karnataka:
In Bengaluru, Karnataka, a license aspirant has to first obtain a Learners License and then acquire their permanent driving license within six months. There are 3 types of driving licenses granted by the Karnataka state government:
Driving license issued for motorcycle without gear:
This category of permanent driving licenses is issued to candidates who want to ride motorcycles and/or two wheelers without gears such as scooters and mopeds. An applicant must be minimum 16 years of age and above to apply for such type of license.
Driving license issued for light motor vehicles:
This is given to those who are applying for a license to drive a light motor vehicle such as a bike and/or cars. An applicant must be minimum 18 years of age and above to apply for such type of license.
Driving license issued for transport vehicles:
For all those who want to drive a transport automobile such as cab, private service vehicle, lorry, truck, and trailer must apply for a permanent driving license issued for transport vehicles. In Bengaluru, Karnataka, a driving License for transport automobile is generally issued out to an applicant of age 20 and above.
International Driving License in Bengaluru, Karnataka
The motor licensing authority issues an International driving license to citizens of India. If you wish to possess this document, apply to the licensing authority with jurisdiction in your area, along with relevant documents.
- Citizens of India can drive abroad with their International driving license that has a maximum validity of 1 year.
- Applicant must appear personally for a re-test if the driving license is issued within 3 months.
- Citizens must get their licence from a country they are visiting within 1 year period.
- The documents required are:
– Application for international license (Form 4A).
– Medical Certificate / Physical fitness declaration.
– Proof of valid VISA and passport (attested copies of original required).
– Valid driving license of local residence.
– Passport size photographs.
– Travel Ticket (confirmed and self-attested copy).
Offices where you can visit to obtain driving license:
- Bengaluru, Karnataka
3rd Block, Bda Shopping Complex, Koramangala, Bengaluru – 080 25533525
- Bangalore West (Rajajinagar)
Corporation, Shopping Complex, Rajajinagar, Bangalore – 560010
- Bangalore East (Indiranagar)
2ND Floor, BDA Complex, Indiranagar, Bangalore – 560038
- Bangalore North (Yeshwanthpur)
3, Corporation Complex, Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore – 560022
- Bangalore South (Jayanagar)
Jayanagar Shopping Complex, 4TH Block, Jayanagar, Bangalore – 560011
- Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bangalore Urban district
27/A, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, RV College Road, Mysore Road, Gnanabharathi, Bangalore – 560056
- Devanahalli, Bangalore Rural district
7th Cross, Vijayapura Cross, Devanahalli, Bangalore – 562110
- Yelahanka, Bangalore district
2019/A, KHB Commercial Complex, Sector B, 3RD Cross, Yelahanka New Town, Bangalore – 560064
- Hosur Road, Bannerghatta, Bangalore district
83/63, Op To Mico Factory, Central Jail Road, Bommanahalli CMC, Channakeshavanagar, Electronic City, Bangalore – 560100
- Nelamangala, Bangalore district
6 & 7, Near Commercial TAX Check Post, Arishinakunte, Nelamangala, Bangalore – 562123
- R. Puram, Bangalore district
No.345/4, Old Madras Road, Krishnarajapuram, Bangalore – 560016
Useful tips for clearing your driving test:
- Do not turn off the vehicle until it stops completely
- Use the side and rear mirror while riding / driving.
- For turning, he/she should put an indicator as well as show a hand signal
- The RTO officer will stand near the test area to see how you rode the bike.
- Give proper indication for stopping the car with appropriate hand signals. Apply the brakes smoothly.
- Shift the gears smoothly.
- At the car driving test, the RTO officer will sit with you and check how smoothly you shift the gears, and how efficiently you release the clutch.
Read informative Driving License articles at Acko.
Having a vehicle insurance policy helps protect against damages to your vehicle under various circumstances. Stay upto date with the latest Car Insurance Articles and Two Wheeler Insurance Articles here.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.