Obtaining a driver’s license in Delhi is a simple procedure. Firstly, you begin by obtaining your ‘Learners License’, after a period of six months you can them obtain a ‘Permanent Driving License’. In order to apply for the license, it is necessary to be eligible by fitting certain criteria. The procedures for application of a license, renewal of an expired license and replacement of a lost license are as follows:
- Eligibility for Getting a Driving License in Delhi
- What is the Application Process for Applying for a Driving License in Delhi?
- Documents Needed for Obtaining a Driving License in Delhi
- Applying for a Duplicate Driving License at the RTO
- Different Kinds of Driving Licenses
- International Driving License in Delhi
Eligibility for Getting a Driving License in Delhi
- In order to apply for the permanent license, the applicant must be at least 18 years or above. He /She must also be aware of all the laws regarding driving a private vehicle.
- You must first submit the application form after a minimum period of 30 days and within 180 days of the date of the issue mentioned on your Learner’s license.
- For driving a commercial vehicle and should also be having possession of a Learner’s license.
- All applicants have to be fully aware of the traffic rules and regulations.
After getting the learner license, you have to learn how to drive a car for preparation of the final test for obtaining the driving license in Delhi. During this period, you must hang the sign “L” in your car in a way that it is visible to the other drivers to warn them about a learner.
During the period post the application submission, you have to acquire knowledge about driving, and the different traffic rules and regulations.
What is the Application Process for Applying for a Driving License in Delhi?
- Now, there is a system through which you can apply for the driving license in Delhi through the website of the transport office. Through this site, you can submit your application and immediately you will be informed about the date of your test. Through this system, a lot of time is saved by the applicant. In this case, all the papers are verified before the start of the driving test.
- You will have to fill in the following details:
- Full name
- Father’s Name
- Residential address
- Education qualification
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Blood group, and
- Identification mark
- You will have to submit other documents (example: passport sized photos, address proof, ID proof, etc.).
- You will be provided a slot for your preliminary test after the submission of these documents mentioned above. The RTP officers will check your knowledge about traffic regulations, laws and road rules.
- You also need to appear in an online test for driving, following which a Learner’s license will be issued to you.
- In the case of applying for a permanent License, you must first obtain the Learner’s license.
- For this, you will have to apply after 30 days and within the next 180 days from the date of issuing a Learner’s license.
Documents Needed for Obtaining a Driving License in Delhi
- You will need Form No.4 (the driving license application form)
- Six passports sized photos
- Your residence proof along with the attested copy of any of the below-mentioned documents:
- Ration card or
- Voter’s ID or
- A certified copy of the Voter’s List or
- Passport or
- An LIC policy which is 6 months old along with the latest receipt or
- Age Proof along with any of the following:
- Educational certificate or
- Birth Certificate with your name or
- A Valid and Attested passport or
- A certificate from the employer if you are working with the Local Body / State Government / Central Government along with the attested copy of your Identity Card.
Applying for a Duplicate Driving License at the RTO
You can obtain a duplicate driving license from the Transport Department if your license has been stolen, or it had been lost or mutilated. The following documents are to be furnished to obtain a duplicate driving license in Delhi:
- The FIR/NCR number/ copy of the lost license
- A fitness certificate with self-attestation
- A fee of Rs 200/
- Your address proof, attested by a Notary Public or Gazetted Officer
The verification process may take a few days, following which the RTO will issue the duplicate copy. In the case of the loss of the license, you will need a special permit from the Transport Department headquarters IF more than six months have passed from the date of loss.
Applying for a License Renewal in Delhi
Once a permanent driving license in Delhi is issued, it continues to be valid for a certain period depending on the type of license you have obtained. After the expiry of such period, you need to renew your license. For renewal, you need to approach the zonal office of transport. There are different rules for different types of driving license in Delhi.
For renewal of a private driving license in Delhi, the validity period is 20 years from the date of issue of the license. But if the license holder reaches the age of 50 years before the period of 20 years has expired, then the license should be renewed on reaching such age. You must deposit a medical certificate if you have already attained the age of 40. The younger people are not required to deposit it. The forms/ papers/ certificates to be deposited for the renewal of the license are:
- Application in Form No.9 properly filled up
- 2 copies of the applicant’s recent passport size photograph
- Medical Certificate in Form No.1 in case of applicants above the age of 40
- The current driving license in Delhi held by the applicant
- Documents to prove age and the place of residence
- All photo copies are to be attested by Gazetted Officer or Notary Public.
- The applicant has to deposit a sum of Rs.80/- towards the cost of laminated driving license.
- The particulars are not verified if the person from the department feels that the particulars are correct.
- The renewed license is handed over the same day
Different Kinds of Driving Licenses
The Delhi government issues three types of driving licenses depending on the vehicle you drive:
Driving license issued for motorcycle without gear:
This is the license for people who ride scooters and mopeds without gears. The applicant has to be at least 16 years of age to apply for this license.
Driving license issued for light motor vehicles:
This license is for the individuals who drive light motor vehicles like bikes and cars. The applicants must be at least 18 years to apply for the license.
Driving license issued for transport vehicles:
If you want to drive a transport automobile like a cab, lorry, truck, or trailer, then, you must apply for a commercial driving license. The commercial license is issued to an applicant of 20 and above who is well aware of the traffic rules and regulations.
International Driving License in Delhi
This is a type of driving license which is required by a person who has planned to either visit or settle down in a foreign country. This is required as the normal driving license in Delhi is not treated as valid in foreign countries. This license is issued from different zonal offices of the transport department.
The documents needed for getting an International Driving License are:
- Application Form for International Driving Permit
- Documents proving that you are an Indian National.
- Your existing driver’s license. The validity period should ideally be of more than one year from the application date. If the validity is less than a year, then you may have to take a fresh driving license.
- Address proof with an attested copy
- A valid passport which expires more than a year from the application date along with the attested copy
- You will also need a valid Visa.
- Five passport size photographs
- A medical certificate
- Payment of 1,000/
- It is better to carry the air ticket with you as you may have to show it
You can expect to get delivery of the International Driving license in the next day. But sometimes it takes maximum of 3 days for the processing. Generally, if the application is deposited in the morning, there are chances of getting the delivery on the same day.
Offices You Can Visit for Obtaining Driving License in Delhi
There are different RTO offices in Delhi which deal with driving licenses. You can visit any of these offices for information and depositing of application. It is obvious that you would prefer to visit the office which is nearest to you. The offices dealing in driving license in Delhi are:
- Deputy Director Zonal Office – Central Delhi, ISBT, Sarai Kale Khan, New Delhi.
- Deputy Director Zonal Office – Office of The Z T O, Vasant Vihar, South West Delhi, New Delhi
- East District –II CBD Ground, Surajmal Vihar
- South-West District – DTC Depot, Vasant Vihar
- West District-II- Raja Garden
Phone No.: 25163616
- North-West District-II – DTC Depot, Rohini
- South-West District – B-Block, Community Centre 1st Floor, Janakpuri
Read informative Driving License articles at Acko.
Having a vehicle insurance policy helps protect against damages to your vehicle under various circumstances. Stay upto date with the latest Car Insurance Articles and Two Wheeler Insurance Articles here.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.