The driving license not only gives you the freedom to roam the different parts of India, but also holds an important part in your day-to-day life. Possession of the Driving License is mandatory for any person who wishes to drive a vehicle It is an official document that is issued by the government of India, allowing individuals to ride or drive their vehicles such as a bus, truck, car or a bike. The motor driving license can be of different types depending on the purpose for which it is issued and the kind of vehicle for which the license is issued. The regional transportation office or the RTO, is the designated government authority who looks after the whole system of licensing that includes verifying and inspecting the driver’s license form (DL form) and further issuing the drivers identification card.
- What Is A DL Form?
- What Are The Different Types of Licenses in India?
- What Is The Eligibility Criteria For Obtaining A Driving License in India?
- How Will You Obtain A Learner’s License? – DL Form No.2
- What Are The Questions Generally Asked In The Online Test?
- How to Apply For Driving License – Form No.4
- What Is The Validity Period Of A Driving License?
- How Will You Renew Your Driving License? – DL Form No. 9
- What to do if your License is Lost, Stolen or Mutilated? – DL Form -LLD
- How to Apply For Change of Address? – DL Form No.8
- How To Obtain An International Driving License? – DL Form No. 4A
What Is A DL Form?
A DL form or a driver’s license form is an application form that is required to obtain a driving license or an identification to drive your vehicle in any part of India. This form is also required to renew, replace your stolen license or to get a duplicate driving license.
The DL Form is available in the Regional Transport Office or the RTO of that particular state. No individual is permitted to drive any motorized vehicle without a valid driving license. You can also download the form online from the RTO’s website.
If you are a learner and wish to drive or ride a vehicle, it is important for you to obtain a learner’s driving license first, and then apply for a permanent one. With the improving technology, it becomes hassle-free for you to apply for the driver’s license online at the click of the mouse.
What Are The Different Types of Licenses in India?
In India, depending on your vehicle class, a driving license is issued. To obtain one, it is imperative to know the eligibility criteria as well as the different types of licenses issued by the Indian government. Different types of licenses and the age of eligibility are given below:
- Motorcycles with engine capacity below 50cc
- Motorcycles with gear, or engine capacity above 50cc, LMVs including cars
- Motorcycles with gear
- Motorcycles with any engine capacity but without gear like scooters
- Light Motor Vehicles including motor car, jeep, taxi, etc –
- Light Motor Vehicles for the personal use only
- Light Motor Vehicles used for commercial purposes
- Heavy Passenger Vehicle (holding license for LMV for 1 year)
- Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle (holding license for LMV for 1 year)
- Trailer license– (holding license for heavy vehicle for 1 year)
What Is The Eligibility Criteria For Obtaining A Driving License in India?
The eligibility to obtain a driving license depends on the vehicle class and the types of driving license applied for. They are mentioned below:
|Type of License||Eligibility|
|Motorcycles without gear and an engine capacity of up to 50 cc||Minimum age should be 16 and requires consent of parents or guardian if age is below 18 years|
|Motorcycles with gear||Minimum 18 years|
|Heavy vehicles for commercial use and Transport Vehicles||Minimum 8th class pass and 18 years old. Some states age eligibility is 20 years|
|Any other requirement||Should be conversant with the traffic rules and should possess valid age and address proof.|
How Will You Obtain A Learner’s License? – DL Form No.2
For obtaining a permanent license, first you need to have a learner’s license. Application for the learner’s license can be deposited personally or through the website of the RTO of the area in which you belong to. This must be done with Form No.2.
With the same form, you can also apply for the extension of time for the driving test. The name of the website is sarathi.nic.in. Be very careful while filling the form as any mistake may be construed as a deliberate attempt to misguide. You can select the date when you want to appear for the test. It is important for you to fill correct personal details such as:
- Type of license required
- Name, father’s name, present and permanent addresses
- Date and place of birth
- Educational qualifications
- Identification marks
- The blood group of the applicant including the Rhesus factor (whether positive or negative)
- Three recent copies of passport sized photograph
- Proof of fee paid
After applying for the learner license, you need to undergo and pass a short online test conducted by the RTO. The number of questions differs from state to state. Usually there are 10 questions and you have to answer at least 6 of them correctly.
What Are The Questions Generally Asked In The Online Test?
The questions asked are mostly related to the different traffic norms in India. These include:
- Hand signal while starting the car
- Hand signal before stopping the car
- Hand signals before making a left turn or a right turn
- Interpretation of the green, yellow and red traffic lights
- Rules relating to speed limits
- Interpretation of signs like school ahead, no overtaking, etc
- Rules regarding giving priority to ambulances
- Rules regarding overtake
How to Apply For Driving License – Form No.4
Once you receive the learner’s license, you need to apply for the driving license in DL Form No.4. You need to ensure that you apply after 30 days of receiving the learner’s license but before 180 days.
It is important for you to drive in a private car in case you wish to apply for a private driver’s license To apply for a commercial license, it is important for you to get a driving test training from a registered motor driving school or a driving school authorized by the State government. You should make sure that your trainer himself holds a valid driving license.
While submitting the DL Form, you need to attach the following documents along with it:
- Proof of Nationality
- Proof of Citizenship
- One copy of passport sized recent photograph
- Original certificate from the motor training school from where you have undergone training, if it is for professional driver
Once your training is done, you have to attend a practical test wherein you will have to drive the car (which you have to bring yourself). If your performance is satisfactory, you will be eligible for a driving license. If the RTO officials are satisfied with the documents provided by you, you will get the permanent driving license too.
The above rules are applicable for obtaining motorcycle driving license as well.
What Is The Validity Period Of A Driving License?
A permanent driving license for private vehicle is valid for 20 years or till the license holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever happens earlier. But for commercial vehicles, the validity is 3 years.
How Will You Renew Your Driving License? – DL Form No. 9
It is an offence to drive a vehicle after your driving license has expired. The expired license can be renewed at any time within 5 years. At the time of application of driving license renewal, you need to deposit DL Form No. 9 duly filled up, two copies of recent passport sized photographs, the current driving license that you possess, proof of age and residence and the required fee to the RTO. If you are over 40 years old, you will have to deposit a medical certificate in DL Form No. 1 along with the above-mentioned documents.
If you are applying for renewal of license for heavy motor vehicles, then you also need to furnish a certificate of refreshing training.
If all the above-stated documents are found to be in order by the RTO, then you will be provided with the renewed driving license.
What to do if your License is Lost, Stolen or Mutilated? – DL Form -LLD
You can apply for and obtain a duplicate license in case you have lost your driving license or if it has been stolen or mutilated. You must submit the application by filling the Form- LLD. Firstly, lodge a FIR (First Information Report) or NCR (Non-Cognizable Report) with your nearest police station in case of loss or theft of the license. To obtain the duplicate license, you will have to submit the FIR/NCR along with an application in DL Form LLD, your address proof, self-declaration of fitness in DL Form No. 1 and the prescribed fee.
How to Apply For Change of Address? – DL Form No.8
For an application of change of address, you need to visit the nearest RTO or apply through web by filling the Form No.8, along with your existing driving license, four copies of recent passport sized photographs and address proof (of new address). The RTO will charge a fee and the change will be made once all the documents have been reviewed.
How To Obtain An International Driving License? – DL Form No. 4A
This is a type of driving license which is required by a person who has planned to either visit or settle down in a foreign country. This is required as the normal driving license is not treated as valid in foreign countries. This license is issued from different zonal offices of the transport department. This license is valid for one year. The validity period is short as you are required to get accustomed to drive in changed scenario like left hand drive in most of the countries whereas we have right hand drive in India. The amount of the fee for the International Driving License is Rs.1000/-.
The documents which are required to be deposited are:
- Application Form for International Driving Permit or IDP
- A valid proof to prove that you are an Indian National and an attested copy of the proof.
- A valid permanent driver’s license. The validity period of the license should be more than a year from the date of the application. If the validity is lower than a year, then the candidate has to take a fresh driving license.
- Valid address proof with one attested copy of the same
- Valid Passport whose expiry is beyond a year from the date of application and an attested copy of the same
- Valid Visa where the validity is more than one year and the attested copy of it
- Five copies of your recent passport size photograph
- The medical certificate in the prescribed DL Form No.1-A
- The proof of payment of the fees of Rs. 1,000/-
- It is better to carry the air ticket with you as you may have to show it
You can expect to get delivery of the International Driving license the next day. But sometimes it may take a maximum of 3 days for the processing. Generally, if the application is deposited in the morning, there are chances of getting the delivery on the same day.
The website for online application for learner license is http://www.chdtransport.gov.in/forms/form2.pdf
The website for online application for permanent license http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/form4.pdf
Read informative Driving License articles at Acko.
Having a vehicle insurance policy helps protect against damages to your vehicle under various circumstances. Stay upto date with the latest Car Insurance Articles and Two Wheeler Insurance Articles here.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.