In West Bengal, to be able to drive your two-wheeler vehicles or a car, you must first get your ‘Learners License’ and then move on to a ‘Permanent Driving License’ within at least six months. You can even book your slot for the permanent driving license test within a month of getting the Learner’s License. You will need to follow a particular process for the same as well as to renew the license, apply for a lost one and an international license. Read on to understand the process of acquiring a driving license in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Eligibility for Getting a Driving License
- Application process for driving license in Kolkata, West Bengal
- How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving License
- Application Process to Renew Your Driving License in West Bengal
- Different Kinds of Driving Licenses
- International Driving License in West Bengal
Eligibility for Getting a Driving License
- For gearless bike the minimum age is 16 years.
- For bikes with gears and four-wheelers the minimum age is 18 years.
- Valid Learner’s Licence (LL)
- After 30 days but not more than 6 months after the issuance of LL
- Minimum age for getting a commercial driving licence is 20 years
- Must have knowledge of traffic rules and regulations
Application process for driving license in Kolkata, West Bengal
Steps to apply for a driving license in Kolkata are as follows:
- Visit the nearest RTO in Kolkata to collect your application form or directly apply through a motor driving school.
- You may also download and print the RTO online application form from the website.
- In the form, you will have to fill the following details:
- Full name
- Father’s Name
- Residential address
- Education qualification
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Blood group
- Identification mark
- Submit the required documents (residential address proof, passport sized photos, ID proof, etc.)
- After submitting the documents, you will get a slot for a preliminary test to judge your familiarity with regulations, traffic laws, and road rules
- Once the test has been passed, you will get the learner’s license
- In case you are unsuccessful then you can opt for the next available slot after a month
Required Documents for Getting a Driving License in Kolkata, West Bengal
- Form No.4 (driving license application)
- Self-attested Photo (6 passports sized photos for learner’s license and 1 for permanent license)
- Residence proof, with attested copy of the following:
- Ration card (with affidavit) or
- Voter’s ID card or
- Valid passport or
- Aadhar Card or
- Rent agreement of Residence in Kolkata with electricity bill or gas bill
- Life Insurance policy which or LIC which is at least 6 months old and has the latest receipt or
- Employer’s certificate if you work with the Local Bodies/Central Government or Government of West Bengal accompanied by an attested copy of your employee Identity Card.
- Age Proof (an attested copy of any of the following):
- Educational certificate or
- Birth certificate or
- A valid passport or
- 10th Standard marksheet or
- Passport or
- PAN card
- Employer’s certificate for employees working with the Local Body / State Government / Central Government supported by an attested copy of your Identity Card.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving License
A duplicate driving license can be availed from any Transport Department office in Kolkata if your license has been stolen, mutilated or lost. You will need the following documents to get a duplicate one in Kolkata:
- An application in Form LLD
- In case it is lost then a FIR/NCR
- Fitness certificate in Form No. 1
- 200/- fee
- Copy of address proof, attested by a public Notary or Gazetted Officer
The duplicate license will be issued by after all the particulars have been verified from the existing records. However, if the driving license has been lost for more than 6 months, then, you will require special permission from the Headquarter of the Transport Department to get a new one.
Application Process to Renew Your Driving License in West Bengal
The forms or certificates which have to be deposited to RTO Office In Kolkata for the renewal of the license are:
- Application Form No.9
- Two recent passport size photograph
- Medical Certificate in Form No.1 (If the candidate is above 40)
- Old driving license
- Age proof
- Residential proof documents
All the photocopies have to be attested by a Gazetted Officer or Notary Public. A copy of the laminated driving license will be provided after depositing the fee of Rs. 80. The RTO department officials often do not verify the details if they feel that the particulars provided are correct.
Different Kinds of Driving Licenses
The West Bengal government issues three types of driving licenses depending on the vehicle driven by the applicant:
Driving license issued for bikes without gear:
People who ride mopeds and gearless bikes are usually provided this type of driving license. You will have to be at least 16 years of age to avail this. The documentation required is usually same and the time required does not vary.
Driving license for light motor vehicles:
People driving cars and motorcycles with gears can apply for this license. The applicant needs to be at least 18 years to apply for the same.
Driving license issued for transport vehicles:
For driving a transport vehicle all like a cab, truck, lorry, private service vehicle, and trailer, you must apply after you have reached the age of 20. To avail such a license you must be physically fit and aware of all the driving regulations.
International Driving License in West Bengal
Any international or Indian citizens living in another country can also apply for a driving license in the state. The Regional Transport Office (RTO) authority issues an International driving license to such individuals:
- Apply to the licensing authority within the jurisdiction of your area, along with the required documents. Indian citizens require practice in driving while applying for the same because, in foreign countries, people have a left-hand drive while our cars have a right-hand drive.
- Indian citizens can drive abroad using their International driving license it has a validity period of 1 year.
- The fee required for issuing the International Driving license is around Rs.1000/, but the official site should be checked for the exact amount.
Documents for International Driving License
- Attested photocopy of the Passport
- Indian Driving License
- Copy of valid Visa
- Recent passport size photographs
- Attested copy of address proof
- Attested copy of Birth Certificate
- An Application Form
- A medical certificate (Form No.1-A)
- Payment of Rs. 1,000/
Tips for Clearing the Driving Test
- Turn off the vehicle only after it has stopped completely.
- Shifting the gears smoothly is important if you are driving a car.
- Use both the rear and side mirrors during riding.
- Prior to turning, don’t forget to put an indicator and show the hand signal.
- An RTO officer will be standing near the test area to see how well you ride the bike.
- If you are driving a car, then, the officer will sit in the car with you to see how well you drive.
Offices You Can Visit for Obtaining Driving License in Kolkata
- Barsat RTO,
Barasat, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700124
- Alipore RTO
25, Belvedere Road, Alipore, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700027
- Public Vehicles Department,
38, Beltala Road, Garcha, Bellygunge, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700020
- Road Transport Corporation,
Entally, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700014
- Road Transport Corporation,
17, Tarachand Dutta Street, Burrabazar, Kolkata, West Bengal, 700073
- Sub Divisional Officer’s Office RTO,
SN Banerjee Rd, Cantonment, Barrackpore, West Bengal 700120
- Motor Vehicles Department, RTO Salt Lake,
CM Block, Sector V, Salt Lake City, Kolkata, West Bengal 700091
Read informative Driving License articles at Acko.
Having a vehicle insurance policy helps protect against damages to your vehicle under various circumstances. Stay upto date with the latest Car Insurance Articles and Two Wheeler Insurance Articles here.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.