Are you looking to obtain a driving license in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh? It is now possible to do so with ease. In Uttar Pradesh, in order to be able to drive your vehicle two-wheeler or four-wheeler, you first must obtain your learners license before you can apply for the Permanent Driving License within a period of six months. It is also possible to get your slot by obtaining your permanent driving license test within a period of one month after you have obtained the learners license. There is a distinct process to follow in order to renew your license, apply for a lost license and an international license.
- Eligibility for Getting a Driving License in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Application Process for Driving License in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Documents Required for Obtaining a Driving License in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Applying for a Duplicate Driving License at the RTO
- Application Process to Renew Your Driving License in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Different Kinds of Driving Licenses
- International driving license in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Documents Required for Getting an International Driving License:
Eligibility for Getting a Driving License in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- All applicants must be 18 years or above in order for them to apply for the permanent license and be able to lawfully drive their private motor vehicle.
- It is compulsory that you first acquire a valid learner’s license.
- You must obtain the application form after a minimum period of 30 days and within 180 days of the issuance date that has been mentioned on your learner’s license.
- In case you are a minimum of 20 years old and posses the learner’s license, it is possible to apply for the commercial vehicle license.
- All the applicants must be up to date with the traffic laws and regulations.
Application Process for Driving License in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- If you are applying for the driving license in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, follow the simple steps below:
- Visit the nearest RTO office in Lucknow to collect your application form or directly apply through the motor driving school.
- You can also download and print the application form from the website.
- In the form, you are expected to fill in the following details:
- You Full Name
- The Father’s Name
- Your Permanent/ Temporary Address
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Education Qualification
- Identification Mark
- Submit the required documents (residence address proof, passport sized photos, ID proof, etc)
- You will get a slot for giving your preliminary test to check how familiar you are with the regulations, traffic laws and road rules after submitting the documents.
- After passing the test, a learner’s license will be issued to you.
- In case you want to obtain the permanent license, you must have a valid learner’s license and must apply after 30 days and within the 180 days of issue of the learner’s license.
- It is possible to opt for the next available slot after a month given that you are confident to for your final test.
Documents Required for Obtaining a Driving License in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Form No. 4 (The driving license application)
- Self attested photo (6 passport sized photos for the learners license and one permanent license)
- Residence of proof with attested copy of any of the following:
- Voters ID card or
- Ration Card (with affidavit) or
- Life insurance policy which is at least 6 months old and has the latest receipt or
- Valid passport or
- The employers certificate in case you are employed with the local bodies/ local government or the government of Uttar Pradesh supported by attested copy of your employers’ Identity card.
- Age proof (an attested copy of any of the following)
- Birth certificate showing the applicants name or
- Your educational certificate or
- A valid (attested) passport or
- The employers certificate for employees working with the local body/state government/ central government supported by an attested copy of your ID card.
Applying for a Duplicate Driving License at the RTO
It is possible to obtain a duplicate license from any Transport Department office in Uttar Pradesh in case you license has been stolen, mutilated or lost. The following documents are to be availed in order to obtain a duplicate driving license in Uttar Pradesh
- An application in form LLD
- In case it has been stole or lost, then the FIR/NCR of the lost license
- Self-declaration of your fitness Form No.1
- Rs 200/- Fee
- Copy of the address proof, duly attested by the Notary Public or a Gazetted Officer
- You will get the duplicate license after all the documents have been verified from their existing records, However, in case of the driving license loss if more than 6 months have expired from the date of loss then you will have to obtain a special permission from the Headquarter of the Transport Department.
Application Process to Renew Your Driving License in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
For the renewal of a private driving license in Uttar Pradesh, the validity period is 20 years from the date of issue of the license. However, if the license holder reaches the age of 50 years before the 20 years period has expired, then the license should be renewed on attaining such age.
The papers/ forms/ certificates to be deposited for the renewal of the license include:
- Application in Form No.9 Correctly filled in.
- Two copies of the applicants recent passport size photograph.
- Medical certificate in Form No.1 in case the applicant is above the age of 40.
- The current driving license in Uttar Pradesh held by the applicant.
- Documents to prove the place of residence and the age
- All the photocopies are to be attested by the Gazetted Officer or the Notary public
- A sum of Rs. 80/- has to be deposited by the applicant towards the cost of laminated driving license
- The particulars are not verified in an individual from the department feels that the particulars are correct.
- The renewed license is handed over the same day
Different Kinds of Driving Licenses
Depending on the type of vehicle you are interested in driving, the Uttar Pradesh government will issue you with three types of driving licenses:
Driving license issued for motorcycle without gear:
This type of driving license is issued to someone who is interested in riding motor cycles and or two-wheeler vehicles without gears such as mopeds and scooters. An applicant must be a minimum of 16 years of age and above in order to apply for such type of license.
Driving license issued for light motor vehicles:
This driving license is given to those people who are applying for a license to drive a light motor vehicle such as a bike and or cars. The applicant must be a minimum of 18 years and above in order to apply for this license.
Driving license issued for transport vehicles:
Any person who is interested in driving automobiles such as a cab, private service vehicle, trailer, lorry or truck must apply for the permanent driving license that is issued for the transport vehicles. In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh a driving license for the transport automobile is usually issued out to an applicant who is 20 years and above in age.
International driving license in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
The foreign nationals living in/ travelling to Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh or the Indian citizens living in other countries are able to apply for a driving license in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. The motor licensing authority issues an international driving license to such people.
- Apply to the licensing authority in your area with all the relevant documents. The validity period is short since you are required to get accustomed to the drive in a changed scenario like the left hand drive in most of the countries whereas our vehicles are right hand drive.
- The Citizens of India are capable of driving abroad with their international driving license that has a maximum validity of one year.
- The applicants must appear personally for a re-test if the driving license is issued within a period of 3 months.
- The citizens must get their license from a country where they are visiting within one-year period.
- The amount of fee required to apply for the International driving license is Rs. 1000/-.
Documents Required for Getting an International Driving License:
- Application form for International Driving Permit or the IDP
- A valid proof to prove that you are an Indian National and an attested copy of the proof
- A valid permanent driver’s license; the validity period of the license should always be more than a year from the application date. In case the validly is less than one years, then the candidate will have to take a fresh driving license.
- The medical certificate in the prescribed Form No. 1-A
- Five copies of your recent passport size photograph
- Valid Visa where the period remaining is more than one year and the attested copy of it
- Valid proof with one attested copy of the same
- Valid passport that expires beyond a year from the application date and an attested cop of the same
- The proof of payment of the Rs. 1000/- fees
- It is better to carry the air ticket with you, as you may have to show it
Useful Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test
- Always shift the gears smoothly
- Never turn off the bike/car until it stops completely
- Always use the side and rear mirror when driving
- For turning, ensure you put an indicator as well as show a hand signal
- The RTO officer will stand near the test area on order to see how you rode the bike
Read informative Driving License articles at Acko.
Having a vehicle insurance policy helps protect against damages to your vehicle under various circumstances. Stay upto date with the latest Car Insurance Articles and Two Wheeler Insurance Articles here.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.