More and more people opt for flights within the domestic sectors. This is becoming popular in India with every passing day. The roads aren’t great and so road trips are often ruled out. Train seats are very difficult to reserve and require a lot of prior planning, which most people don’t do. And finally, air travel reduces the travel time dramatically, making it the preferred choice of many.
If you are planning to take a domestic flight soon, make sure you get a domestic travel insurance in India to safeguard your trip. This apart, you should also be aware of certain security protocols to ensure a quick security check. Read on to know more.
Security Protocols for Domestic Travel
- Get in a queue: You have to be ready to stand in queues. Right from the airport entry point to the airline boarding station, queues are formed at all places. This happens because security personnel scans your belongings, tickets, and even your body at various points. Comply with the norms and be courteous to others around you. This is a protocol that you have to follow.
- Hand baggage is screened: You check in your large bags and carry your small bags with you. This is known as your hand baggage and it is manually screened by the security forces at the airport. Remember to collect your baggage after the screening. While a travel insurance coverage pays for lost checked-in baggage, you won’t get a claim for lost hand baggage.
- Boarding passes are cross-checked: Your boarding pass will be verified at various places. This is a standard security protocol that you must know. Readily produce your boarding pass whenever you are asked to do so. Your boarding pass will be examined at the check-in counter of the airline. It will then be checked when you proceed for your security check. There it will be examined and stamped. Finally, it will be checked again before you board the airline. Always keep it handy and show it when asked.
- Full-body screenings may be asked for: You can buy travel insurance online. Buying a travel insurance plan will protect you from perils such as lost baggage and missed flights. You will not get too much of assistance if your flight is hijacked. To prevent hijacks and other security breaches, the police may take random passengers for a full-body screening. This is a standard protocol that you must be aware of. Full body checks are rare but do not hesitate when asked for it.
- Your bag may be opened: It is also a regular protocol to open bags that may contain suspicious material. If you are asked to open your bags, do comply without causing a fuss. You may miss your flight if there is a long delay in the inspection, but don’t worry – your travel insurance plan will help you get on to the very next available flight.
- Certain items are prohibited from all bags: You are prohibited from carrying certain items in your handbags and certain items in your check-in baggage. For instance, you cannot carry a cigarette lighter in your handbag. Similarly, you cannot carry a power bank in your checked in luggage. Firearms are banned from all types of luggage. These are the protocols that need to be followed. You will get a detailed list of banned items when you buy travel insurance online. Check the list properly to ensure you don’t carry anything that is prohibited.
- You have to comply with the security process: This goes without saying, but you have to comply to all the above-mentioned security protocols when you travel on the domestic sector.
The bottom line
Get a good travel insurance plan in India and stay protected when you travel within the country. Once that is done, you will be able to travel in a relaxed manner. Following the security protocols will also become easier thereafter.
Read informative Travel Insurance Articles at Acko.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.