Securing your trip with travel insurance was the best thing you did. This has enabled your insurer to extend a layer of financial security over your travel. We feel your pain if you have suffered an unfortunate event. Thus, we will help you with the process of how travel insurance claims work.
How to Claim Travel Insurance?
We hope you might have gone through your travel insurance policy document at the time of purchase and are clear about the inclusions and exclusions of the plan. Bear in mind that you can raise a claim against situations that are covered under the travel insurance plan. If not, your claim will get rejected. Let’s take a look at how to claim travel insurance:
- The first thing you need to do is to fill the claim form. You can find one on your travel insurer’s website or through your insurance agent. You need to fill all the required details as clearly as possible.
- When you return from your trip and want to file a claim, the process becomes a lot easier to carry out. To raise a claim, you need to produce a required set of documents to your insurer along with the claim form. Nowadays, one can raise a travel insurance claim online. The process will be mentioned on the insurance company’s website. This way a lot less paperwork would be involved as compared to filing a claim offline.
- If you were a victim of crime, your destination plays an important role. Visit the nearest police station as soon as possible and register a complaint. Also, inform your insurer immediately. Both – the police and your insurer will be able to help you in this matter. If your baggage is stolen, your insurer will help you buy things that you require, for example – clothes, toiletries, etc.
- If you face a medical emergency like an accident or contract an illness on the trip, you need to raise a claim while on the trip. However, if you have enough funds you can use them and then raise a reimbursement claim after returning home. This will ensure that your trip is uninterrupted. Apart from medical emergencies, you can claim for loss of baggage or delays after returning from your trip. However, make it a point to intimate your insurer about the incident as soon as it occurs.
- After you raise a claim, your insurer will investigate the matter and try to settle the claim as soon as possible. You can expect the claim amount shortly after the claim is approved and settled. Just remember that necessary documents are very important if you wish to raise a claim after returning home. Thus, if you file a complaint about lost baggage be sure to collect the police report. If you avail medical treatment, collect the hospital bills and submit these to your travel insurance company.
How to Select a Travel Insurance Company?
Selecting the right insurance company depends upon various factors like features of the policy, travel insurance claim settlement ratio, post-sales services, price of the policy, etc. However, remember that travel insurance claim settlement ratio of an insurer should not be a prominent parameter for choosing an insurance company.
Nowadays, insurance companies have an active social media profile. Taking a look at these profiles will help you gauge the customer service and promptness of the company. You would not want to end up with an insurance company that takes forever to respond.
If you buy travel insurance well in advance, you will get enough time to carry out research on the background and reputation of the company. Also, you can decide on the coverage and features of the plan you wish to buy and buy travel insurance accordingly.
Read informative Travel Insurance Articles at Acko.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.