One can’t fathom the stress of losing one’s baggage while on a trip. Here the nature of your trip does not matter, whether you are traveling for work or a vacation, losing important things can result in an emergency situation.
One of the solutions to minimise the loss of losing your baggage is to buy the best travel insurance in India. To buy the best travel insurance in India, you can simply go online and search for a policy that suits your needs. Keep in mind that the insurance company also plays an important role. Choose an insurer that offers the best services.
In this article, we will discuss the process of filing a claim for lost baggage along with the other coverages offered under travel insurance.
How to Submit a Claim for Lost Baggage?
- As soon as you notice missing luggage, get in touch with the Baggage claim desk, if this facility is not available, get in touch with the airlines or transport facility you used.
- You will be given a form that you need to fill, it will be the official intimation of the lost baggage. You will have to enter your personal details along with the items you have lost, your ticket number, the address of the place you will be staying at, and an accessible contact number.
- Get in touch with your travel insurance company and give the necessary details. Nowadays, you can buy travel insurance online, this way it will be easier for you to tell them your policy number.
- The insurer will get the claim registered and necessary action will be taken immediately. You will be sent the compensation for necessary expenses as soon as possible.
- In case you do not have any money on you, ask for a kit containing essentials. An airline or your transport facility will have access to things like shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.
What is Covered under Travel Insurance?
#1 Loss of Baggage
Losing or even a delay in receiving your baggage on a trip can be a nightmare. You could lose clothes, money, food, or important documents. Such a situation can leave you stranded without help if you do not know anyone else. Here, your travel insurance policy will be highly helpful. Under the loss of baggage cover, you will be provided with cash to shop for essential things till your delayed luggage arrives. Travel insurance will provide you compensation for added expenses in case you are not in possession of your baggage, like clothes, toiletries, meal, etc. If required, you can also ask for assistance regarding your lost documents like passport, visa, ID proofs, etc.
#2 Trip cancellations
Planning a trip involves paying money in advance. You would want to make sure that your stay in an unknown region is comfortable, safe, and enjoyable. To achieve this, you pay for transport fare, tour packages, hotel rooms, etc. Some of these include non-refundable charges or a cancellation fee is applicable in case you want to cancel your trip. It would be a massive financial loss if for any reason you decide to not go ahead with your trip. A typical reason for canceling a trip could include the following:
- Medical emergencies or death related to you, a friend, or a traveling companion
- Natural calamities hitting the area you were visiting
- Terrorist activities
- Trip canceled by the travel agent
In case anything happens while on the trip and you need to return home, your travel insurance company might reimburse you for the remaining part of your trip.
#3 Medical Emergencies
Probably the most important coverage included under overseas travel insurance is for medical emergencies. It could get very difficult for you in a foreign land if you do not have an idea whom to ask for help in case you suffer from an incident that needs medical attention. Under this cover, you can avail medical treatment irrespective of you having a separate health insurance policy. Thus, instead of arranging for the money and paying a fortune, get in touch with your travel insurance company. Travel Insurance offers protection against such financial risks and covers your medical expenses.
There could be a situation in which you need to be evacuated from your current location. This situation can arise from a terrorist attack, political unrest, epidemics, weather conditions, etc. Your overseas travel insurance policy can take care of the expenses related to airlifts or medically equipped flights back home as the company understands the trauma one might suffer from an evacuation.
The Bottom Line
To get all-around financial protection, you must always secure your trip by buying travel insurance online. Buying a policy online will help you get a better idea of the coverage, exclusions, and the terms and conditions. In turn, you will be in a better position to raise a claim in an emergency situation while on your trip. Buying travel insurance online may also fetch discounts and additional coverages.
Read informative Travel Insurance Articles at Acko.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.