Guwahati lies along the banks of the Brahmaputra river and is considered as the gateway to the northeastern part of India. It is also the largest city in Assam and known for its rich heritage and culture. The transport system in the city of Guwahati is regulated, like every other city in the country, by the Regional Transport Office (RTO). Whether it’s granting a driving licence or registration of private or public vehicles, RTO offices in Guwahati provide several transport-related services to cater to the local residents.
From obtaining Learner’s Licence (LL) to appearing for the driving tests, you can approach the Guwahati RTO for legal documents that enable you to ride or drive a motor vehicle on public roads. Apart from issuing legal documents, the RTO is also responsible for conducting driving tests, collecting road taxes, issuing licences to motor driving schools and managing pollution testing centres. Read on to learn about the functions of the RTO in Guwahati, its contact details and answers to some of the most important questions about RTOs.
- Guwahati RTO Code: Office Address & Contact Number
- Guwahati RTO, Assam AS-01: Contact Number
- RTO Fees in Guwahati:
- Functions of Guwahati RTO:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
Guwahati RTO Code: Office Address & Contact Number
To identify the RTO a motor vehicle has been registered or to find out which RTO granted the driving licence, it is denoted by the RTO code. The code is alpha-numerical, which consists of the respective state and the RTO’s unique code. As for the Guwahati RTO code, it is AS-01, wherein the ‘AS’ denotes the state of Assam and ‘01’ denotes the respective RTO branch. Below are the contact details of the RTO office in Guwahati:
Guwahati RTO, Assam AS-01: Contact Number
Below are the contact details of Guwahati District Transport Office (DTO):
|Office Address||Regional Transport Office (RTO) Guwahati, National Highway (NH) Bypass, Betkuchi, Guwahati, Assam – 781035|
|Email ID||[email protected]|
|Office Timings||10 AM – 5 PM|
RTO Fees in Guwahati:
The RTO provides services such as issuing a permanent driving licence, registration certificate for private and transport/passenger vehicles, permits for transport vehicles, grant fitness certificate, modify details on the driving licence or registration certificate. To avail these services, applicants should pay the RTO fee prescribed for the specific RTO function. Below are the details of the RTO fees in Guwahati:
Driving Licence Fees
Below are the fees for services related to driving licences in the Guwahati RTO:
|Types of Services||Fee (Rs.)|
|Issuing or renewing Learner’s Licence (LL) for each class of vehicles||150|
|Conducting tests or repeat tests for LL||50|
|Conducting repeat tests for different classes of vehicles (LL)||300|
|Issuing Permanent Driving Licence (DL)||200|
|Renewing the Permanent DL||200|
|Renewing driving licence (Post grace period)||300 (1,000 for each additional year)|
|Including a new class of vehicle in the DL||500|
|Issuing International Driving Licence/International Driving Permit (IDP)||1,000|
|Modifying the residence address in DL||200|
|Issuing smart card||200|
Guwahati RTO Registration Charges
Below are the fees for registering different types of vehicles in Guwahati RTO:
|Type of Vehicle||Fees in Rs. (Issue/Renewal)|
|Three-wheeled or four-wheeled vehicles (Private)||600|
|Three-wheeled or four-wheeled vehicles (Goods/Passenger)||1000|
|Heavy passenger or goods vehicles||1500|
|Medium passenger/goods vehicles||1000|
|Issuing duplicate RC||50% of the above-mentioned fees|
|Transferring ownership of vehicles|
|Modifying the residential address in the RC|
|Other modifications in the RC|
|Endorsing lease/hire purchase/hypothecation||Bikes/two-wheelers - 500|
|Four-wheelers/three-wheelers - 1,500|
|Medium or Heavy vehicles - 3,000|
Fitness Certificate (FC) Charges
Below are the fees for the issuance/renewal of Certificate of Fitness in RTO Guwahati for vehicles:
|Type of Service||Fee (Rs.)|
|Conducting tests for issuing or renewal of FC||Bikes/two-wheelers: Automated – 400; Manual – 200|
Three-Wheeler/Four-Wheelers: Automated – 600; Manual – 400
Medium or Heavy vehicles: Automated – 1,000; Manual – 600
|Issuing or renewing FC||200 (Rs. 50 as late fee for each additional day from the date of expiry)|
|Issuing or renewing of Letter of Authority (LoA)||15,000|
|Issuing duplicate LoA||7,500|
Permit Charges (Commercial Vehicles)
Following are the RTO permit fees in Guwahati:
|Types of Vehicle||Permit Fee (INR)|
|Countersignature for goods vehicle/carrier||350|
|National Permit + Authorisation||350 + 500|
|Temporary Permit (Goods carrier)||100|
|Special Permit (Passenger carrier)||100|
|Buses of educational institutions||350|
|Private Service Vehicles (PSV)||350|
Also, read: RTO New Vehicle Registration Process
Functions of Guwahati RTO:
Whether you want to obtain a permanent driving licence or to renew your vehicle’s registration certificate, the RTO in Guwahati will issue the same. Also, Guwahati RTO performs other administrative tasks. Below are the primary functions of the RTO office in Guwahati:
- Registration of Vehicles: The RTO in Guwahati grants and renews the Registration Certificate (RC) of both private and commercial vehicles. You can also approach the RTO for issuing fancy or a registration number of your choice. Pay the prescribed fee and you can get your vehicle registered.
- Transfer of Vehicle Ownership: In the case of a used vehicle, applicants can approach the RTO to transfer the ownership after paying the required fees. While the registration number remains the same, the ownership is transferred to the new vehicle owner.
- Issuing a Duplicate Registration Certificate: In case of loss or if the RC is damaged, you can approach the RTO to issue a duplicate RC after paying the required fees and submission of relevant documents.
- Alterations to the Registration Certificate: In case of a change in your residential address, you can get it changed at the Guwahati RTO. Pay the prescribed fee and submit the proof of address and the RTO will make the necessary changes.
- Issuing No Objection Certificate: If you have changed your residential address, you can obtain the NOC from the Guwahati RTO in order to transfer the registration to the new RTO.
- Issuing Fitness Certificate (FC): You can obtain or renew the FC from the RTO after the inspection by the Motor Vehicle Inspector. Pay the fees prescribed by the RTO and you can get the FC for your vehicle.
- Endorsing Hypothecation: In case your vehicle is purchased through a bank loan, lease or hire purchase, the RTO will enter the details in the RC. This is known as an endorsement of hypothecation.
- Issuing Permits: The RTO in Guwahati issues national and state permits for goods and passenger vehicles. The RTO also renews the same.
- Collection of Road Taxes: The Guwahati RTO collects road taxes from vehicles which come under its jurisdiction.
- Issuing Driving Licences: You can approach the RTO to grant the Learner’s Licence before you can obtain the permanent driving licence. Also, the RTO renews the driving licence upon expiry. You can also get any alterations such as change of address in the DL.
- Conducting Driving Tests: After you obtain the LL from the RTO, you can apply for the permanent driving licence after 30 days. For this, you need to clear the driving test before the RTO grants the DL.
Frequently Asked Questions:
To ride or drive a motor vehicle legally in India you need to hold a driving licence and the vehicle should be registered at the local RTO. There are several terms and functions that may be difficult to understand. Here are the answers to some of the common queries about the functions of the RTO:
The validity of the LL is 6 months from the time it has been issued. Upon completion of 30 days, you can apply for the permanent DL. You need to clear the driving test for the RTO to grant the DL.
Below is the list of documents required to obtain a permanent licence in Guwahati:
>Valid learner’s licence.
>Three passport size photographs.
>Proof of age and address.
You need to renew the expired driving licence within 30 days of expiry. However, you can renew the DL after the grace period by paying the required late fee as prescribed by the RTO.
Below is the list of documents required to apply for an international driving licence:
>A valid driving licence must be valid at least for a period of one year.
>Photocopies of your passport and Visa.
>Five passport size photographs.
>Proof of address (attested).
You need to register your vehicle at the RTO, in whose jurisdiction you are residing or have a place of business where the vehicle is usually kept.
A medical certificate is required only for a commercial driving licence. Also, for those who are 50 years of age, they need to submit a medical certificate to obtain a DL or to renew the DL.
Other Popular RTO Offices in India:
|RTO Offices in Chennai||RTO Offices in Bengaluru|
|RTO Offices in Hyderabad||RTO Offices in Mumbai|
|RTO Offices in Delhi||RTO Offices in Ahmedabad|
|RTO Offices in Pune||RTO Offices in Kolkata|
- How to Apply for an International Driving License
- The Significance of RTO for a Car Owner
- How to Get Temporary Vehicle Registration Number
Read informative RTO Articles at Acko.
Having a vehicle insurance policy helps protect against damages to your vehicle under various circumstances. Stay upto date with the latest Car Insurance Articles and Two Wheeler Insurance Articles here.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.