Team AckoJul 20, 2023
Are you planning to travel overseas with your kids in 2023? If yes, then along with your passport, you will also need a valid Indian passport for your kids. People under 18 years of age are minors, and having a passport for minors is now mandatory.
When applying for a passport for kids, the procedure and documentation differ slightly from adults. Earlier, an endorsement of a kid's name on their father's passport was permissible to travel abroad. However, passports are now issued to minors based on the application given by their parents or legal guardian along with the required documents. Here is an inclusive guide on how to apply for a Minor Passport in India.
Applying for a passport in India is reasonably straightforward, though there might be some confusion regarding passport application for minors.
The passport request for children can be processed with the consent of parents or legal guardians. You can follow online and offline procedures to apply for a Minor Passport in India. Here are the details:
● Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) Website.
● Signup and create an account by punching in all valid information.
● Log in with your credentials to your PSK account.
● Select the online application passport and fill in the details.
● Submit the form, make payment and complete the process.
That's the online process for Minor Passport applications. Here is how you can do it offline.
● Schedule an appointment with Passport Seva Kendra.
● Walk into your concerned Passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra.
● Fill up the hard copy of the application with the required details.
● Attach all the necessary documentation to the form.
● Pay the passport fee for minors and complete the process.
Proper documentation while submitting a passport for minors will make the process much easier. Here are some valid documents you can use when applying for a Minor Passport in India.
● Birth certificate of the minor issued by the respective municipal corporation.
● Current proof of address of the parents.
● Present proof of address of single parent (in case of single parent applying).
● Passport copies of both parents.
● Passport copy for single parent (in case of single parent applying).
● Passport-size photos of the minor and parents (both or either).
Note: Only coloured photos are acceptable with a dimension of 4.5 cm length x 3.5 cm width. Also, ensure the minor’s photo is natural and of good quality.
Along with these documents, the parents or the legal guardian of a Minor Passport applicant must provide an affidavit. It is based on the type of application submitted. Here are the annexure details:
For minors living with single parent
For minors that cannot obtain consent from one of the parents
For minors living with legal guardians
For minors that cannot obtain consent from both parents
● As parents, when applying for a passport for kids, always attach a copy of your valid passport. Make sure the name of your spouse is endorsed on your passport.
● For a passport without the endorsement of a spouse, parents will have to apply for a fresh passport with the required endorsement.
● If one of the parents is living aboard, the signature of such a parent is required for the application. If you cannot get the signature, you can submit Annexure D along with the application.
The eligibility for a Minor Passport in India is decided based on the following criteria.
● Minors between 15 and 18 years of age who want a passport for ten years.
● Minors from Jammu and Kashmir and Nagaland.
● Separated parents, not legally divorced.
● Parents divorced or living abroad.
● Passport applied by legal guardians.
● Parents with passports having their spouse's name on it.
● Passport applied by one parent without the consent of the other.
● Single parents applied for a passport.
● Adopted children and children born through surrogacy.
● Students living away from their parent's current home.
● Students living away from their parents and do not give consent to apply.
Typically, any passport issued by the government of India is valid for a period of 10 years. However, with a passport for the kid, the rules are a bit different.
● If the minor is below 15 years of age, they will get a validity on their passport, which is earlier than five years or until they turn 18 (whichever comes first).
● If the minor is between 15 to 18 years of age, they will get ten years of validity on their passport. However, it will be provided only after police verification.
Passport fees for minors vary based on your chosen scheme. Moreover, it will vary based on the minor's age and the required passport validity.
● New Passport: Applicants under 15 years of age will have to pay Rs. 1,000 for a regular passport, while 2,000 for a tatkal passport.
● Validity Expired or Due: Applicants under 18 years of age must pay Rs. 1,000 for regular passport reissue, while 2,000 for tatkal reissue.
● Lost or Damaged: Applicants under 18 years of age will have to pay Rs. 1,000 for a regular reissue, while 2,000 for a tatkal reissue.
● Exhaustion of Pages: Applicants under 18 years of age must pay Rs 1,500 for a regular reissue and 2,000 for a tatkal reissue.
Listed below are the applicable payment modes.
● The PSK uses the SBI payment portal for passport payments.
● For the tatkal passport, you must pay the regular fee through SBI and the remaining cash at the PSK.
● Click View Saved/Submitted applications and choose your payment modes.
● The payment modes include credit/debit cards, internet banking, and SBI bank challan/wallet payment.
Apart from SBI Bank Challan and SBI Internet Banking, all other modes will have a 1.5%+ service tax applicable when making the payment.
The processing time after successfully applying for it may vary based on certain factors. The parents or legal guardians will receive an affirmation receipt or notification after applying for a minor's passport. Usually, the passport will be dispatched to the mentioned address within 4-7 working days after you receive the notification receipt. You also have a passport-tracking facility on the PSK website to track your passport application for minors.
The passport is a valuable document. It is proof of citizenship and identity overseas. It would be best to keep the passport safe and protected by storing it securely. If the minor's passport is lost or stolen, it can be used for criminal purposes or to steal your minor's identity. To keep the passport protected, follow these steps.
● Always know where you stored it.
● Keep it dry.
● Do not let anyone use it.
● Never alter it for any purpose.
● Keep a photocopy of the minor's passport page.
● Note the passport number and expiry date.
If you lose a passport, immediately report it to the Passport Office or Indian Mission and the nearest Police Station. They will guide you through obtaining a replacement or reissue of the passport.
Five years is the valid duration of a minor's passport or until they are 18 years old. However, minors between 15-18 years can apply for a passport with a validity of 10 years or validity until they are 18 years old.
It is ideal if at least one of the parents has a valid passport with their spouse's name, so that police verification is not required. However, it is not mandatory.
Yes, both parents should be present at the PSK while applying for a minor's passport, or one of the parents with both parents' passports should be available. They should submit Annexure D with their signatures.
Annexure D should be submitted by the legal guardian while applying for the minor's passport if both parents are unavailable.
If one of the parents is deceased, the death certificate of the deceased parent should be submitted along with Annexure D.
If the consent of one parent cannot be obtained, Annexure C must be presented along with Annexure D.
Recent passport-size colour photographs of children below four years of age should be carried, and they should meet the requirements mentioned on the Passport Seva Kendra website. For children above four years, the officials will take a photograph at the passport office.
According to the revised guidelines, baby names cannot be included in the parents' passports. Irrespective of their age, a fresh passport should also be applied for babies.
Generally, the documents required while applying for a passport for a minor are as follows.
Birth Certificate of the minor child or proof of date of birth.
Document with proof of present address.
Signed copy of Annexure D as stated.
Photocopy of parents' passports duly signed by them.
Other than these, a few more documents may be required depending on varied circumstances, as follows.
Minors between 15 and 18 years of age require a passport with a validity of 10 years.
Parent(s) having a valid passport with the spouse's name endorsed.
A legal guardian applies for a minor's passport.
Whose parents are separated but are not legally divorced.
Minor children of Jammu and Kashmir.
Whose parents reside abroad.
Minor children of Nagaland.
Whose parents are divorced.
Minor children of employees of the government/statutory bodies.
A minor's passport applied for by one parent without the consent of the other.
Passport application for the minor by a single parent.
Visit the Passport Seva Kendra website and register your child. Log in to the account using your credentials. Now you can go to your account and fill out the application for a passport for the minor. After submitting this form, make the payment online.
The passport application fee varies depending on a new application or reissue, the minor's age, the validity required, and the regular or tatkal application. The Passport Seva Kendra website mentions the cost depending on the requirement and prevailing conditions.
Disclaimer: The content on this page is generic and shared only for informational and explanatory purposes. It is based on several secondary sources on the internet, and is subject to changes.
Nagaland Regional Transport Office - Nagaland RTO List, Services & Registration Charges
TeamAcko Dec 6, 2023
Mizoram Regional Transport Office - Mizoram RTO List, Services & Registration Charges
TeamAcko Dec 6, 2023
Meghalaya Regional Transport Office - Meghalaya RTO List, Services & Registration Charges
TeamAcko Dec 6, 2023
Manipur Regional Transport Office - Manipur RTO List, Services & Registration Charges
TeamAcko Dec 6, 2023
Want to post any comments?