For auto enthusiasts, cars and bikes are an extension of their passion. These machines bring out uniqueness through customization. A fancy registration number for car and bike is an expression to let others know that your vehicle is special and unique. While a fancy or a VIP registration number for car and bike will cost you more, it sends out the message of your love for cars or bikes.
To procure a fancy car number or a bike number can be a cumbersome task due to the process involved in getting one. To obtain a fancy vehicle registration number, you need to get it through an e-auction. Read ahead to know more about how to get a fancy registration number for car and bikes, fees, and the processing time.
- Fancy Number for Car:
- How to Get a Fancy Registration Number for Your Car in India:
- Fees and Registration Charges for Car & Bike Fancy Number:
- Fancy Numbers Availability Online:
- E-Auction of Fancy Registration Numbers:
- How to Select a VIP Registration Number for Cars and Bikes:
- Processing Time:
- FAQs About Fancy Registration Number for Cars and Bikes:
Fancy Number for Car:
Buying a new car? You can now select a fancy or a VIP number by paying the required fees. The process is not the same as when buying a car; you need to bid through the e-auction for the fancy number.
How to Get a Fancy Registration Number for Your Car in India:
Since its an e-auction, the fancy registration number is available online at vehicle dealerships. You can choose from the list without the need to visit the RTO. For example, in Delhi a base price is fixed for each of the VIP car numbers and bidding will begin from this base price. Below is the process of bidding for a fancy car number:
- Step 1: Register online on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway (MoRTH) as a Public User.
- Step 2: After you sign up and log in to your account, select the fancy number.
- Step 3: Pay the required fees for registration and reserve the number.
- Step 4: Bid for your choice of VIP car number.
- Step 5: Result will be declared. You can pay the balance or collect the refund accordingly.
- Step 6: Print the allotment letter for reference.
Fees and Registration Charges for Car & Bike Fancy Number:
The registration charges and fees associated with purchasing a fancy car or a bike number differs between states. In Delhi, the registration fee is Rs.1,000, which is non-refundable. You also have to reserve the price for the fancy car number, this depends on the type of vehicle. Below is the reserve price to bid for a fancy or a VIP vehicle number plate in Delhi:
|Category||Type of Number||Series||Amount|
|1||Super Elite||0001||Rs.5 Lakh|
|2||Single Digit||0002, 0003, 0004, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0007, 0008, 0009||Rs.3 Lakh|
|3||Others||0786, 1111, 7777, 9999 and numbers between 0010 to 0099||Rs.2 Lakh|
|4||Semi-Fancy Numbers||0100, 0111, 0200, 0222, 0300, 0333, 0400, 0444, 0500, 0555 0600, 0666, 0700, 0777, 0800, 0888, 0900, 0999, 2000, 2222 3000, 3333, 4000, 4444, 5000, 5555, 6000, 6666, 7000, 8000, 8888, 9000, 0101, 0108, 1008, & 1313||Rs.1 Lakh|
Fancy Numbers Availability Online:
There are different types of fancy numbers for cars and you can check the availability online. Below are the steps to check the availability of VIP vehicle numbers:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Step 2: At the bottom right of the page, choose ‘Choice Number’.
- Step 3: You’ll be redirected to a new page. Here you need to select the state and the RTO name.
- Step 4: The new page will reveal the list of fancy car numbers that you can choose from.
E-Auction of Fancy Registration Numbers:
Below is the process flow of the e-auction of fancy registration numbers in Delhi:
- Step 1: Register on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and get the Unique Acknowledgement Number (UAN).
- Step 2: Pay the registration fee (non-refundable) and the reserve price of the fancy registration number.
- Step 3: Select the desired registration number of your choice to block the number.
- Step 4: The registration window will be open for three days from the start of the e-auction and bidding will take place on the subsequent two days.
- Step 5: You can change the bid in multiples of Rs.10,000 for category 1 to 4, while for category 5, you can bid in multiples of Rs.1,000.
- Step 6: Successful bidder will be informed through SMS and email.
- Step 7: Deposit the balance amount online within 5 days from the date of the declaration.
- Step 8: The allotment letter will be generated after you pay the deposit amount online. The letter is valid for 90 days for registration of the vehicle.
Also, read: Vehicle Scrappage Policy in India
How to Select a VIP Registration Number for Cars and Bikes:
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has made the process of selecting a VIP registration number for vehicles simpler with the introduction of e-auction. You can register, select the choice of fancy numbers available for bidding and get the VIP car or bike number of your liking.
To complete the process of bidding for a fancy car or bike number, it takes about 5 days from the time you register. After you have registered at the website, the bidding process begins on the 4th day and continues until the 5th day. Once the allotment letter is generated, you have 90 days to register the vehicle at the respective RTO.
Also, read: Certificate of Insurance in Motor Vehicles Act
FAQs About Fancy Registration Number for Cars and Bikes:
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about VIP or fancy car or bike numbers:
The first two letters of a vehicle number represent the Indian state in which the vehicle is registered. For example, in Karnataka, the first two letters are ‘KA’, in Tamil Nadu, it’s TN and so on. The subsequent two numbers represent the Regional Transport Office (RTO). For example, 01, 02, and so on. The third component is the registration number of the respective vehicle. If there is no unique number left to provide, alphabets will be utilised to make it unique. The last and fourth component is the ‘IND’ signifying that the vehicle is registered in India.
When you buy a new vehicle, the RTO issues a ‘To Register’ (TR) sticker, which is a temporary vehicle number until you are provided with a unique number. Upon submitting documents such as Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate, driving licence, sales invoice of the vehicle, etc., the RTO will provide the vehicle registration number.
There are several types of vehicle number plates catering to different segments. White number plates signify that the vehicle is private and cannot be used for commercial purposes. The yellow number plate signifies that the vehicle is for commercial use only and a green number plate signifies that the vehicle is an electric vehicle. Apart from these main types of vehicle number plates, there are others which are unique to the military or the President of India or Governors of the states in the country.
The refund turn-around-time may vary from state to state. For example, in Delhi, the refund takes about 30 days.
The allotment letter is valid for 90 days for the registration of the vehicle at the designated RTO.