Indian heat waves can be extreme. The outside temperature can go up to 40 to 45 degrees in this merciless season. In such conditions, it becomes crucial to take additional measures in order to stay healthy. Drinking loads of fluids to remain hydrated is the first thing for sustaining in the heat. Using sunblock could be another.
Your car can also suffer a sunstroke. Maybe not the one humans suffer, but it can result in a breakdown. Read on to know how to protect your car from the heat waves.
Externally, you can take certain measures that will ensure the proper functioning of your car. The very first layer of protection against the harmful sun rays is polishing your car with wax. It will act as a barrier between heat and the car’s body. A fresh wax job just before the summer season may prove to be sufficient for the entire season. It will not only protect your car from heat but also make it look squeaky clean.
Other parts that need your attention are the tires. Always ensure proper tire pressure. The chances of a tire burst increase during this season. Thus, make sure that the air pressure is optimum and not to the fullest level a tire can take.
Taking care of the interiors
Many have scalded their bottoms by sitting on a hot car seat in summers! We definitely want to avoid this. Install windshield and seat covers of light colors to avoid heat from getting trapped inside the car. You can even spread light-colored bed sheets inside the entire car. This way the interior’s texture and color will not change or fade easily. Also, consider leaving half a centimeter of space while rolling up the windows. This way you can ensure some air flow without compromising on the safety of the car.
AC and Battery
- AC and coolants: In the summer season, the AC may take more time to cool the interiors than it does in the winters. However, the end result should not be drastically different. Get the AC and its coolant checked if the AC is taking too long or does not cool at all. In addition, get the water and levels of other fluids in the electrical and mechanical system of your car checked. This will ensure smooth running of the vehicle in heat.
- Battery: The best way to spot a weak battery is to observe the brightness of the car lights. You may want to replace the battery or refill the fluids before summer as they tend to evaporate in the heat. Also, get the battery replaced if it is more than 3 years old.
In case you have missed your seasonal car servicing, this is the best time to send your car for a checkup. The experts will advise you to take actions, specific to your car, to ensure smooth rides.
- Consider filling the tires with nitrogen, as this gas will help avoid tire bursts while driving on hot roads.
- Try parking your car in the shade.
- Avoid keeping food items or soda cans in the car. You would want to avoid the stench of spoiled food and bursting of cans in extreme heat.
- Consider opting for a roadside assistance car insurance cover. It will prove to be extremely helpful if your car suffers a breakdown.
- In case of an impending paint job, consider choosing lighter shades. Dark colors tend to absorb more heat.
It’s time for chilled mocktails, cotton clothes and mangoes. Happy summer!
Read informative Car Insurance Articles at Acko.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.