Team AckoJul 22, 2021
Health insurance is perhaps one of the most essential types of general insurance. However, many people still have their doubts about buying a good health policy. This happens due to the influence of myths. Sadly, there are some very damaging medical insurance myths that continue to thrive even today. Take a look at this article to know what they are and how you can avoid them.
1. Young people don’t need health insurance: A common myth is that you don’t need a health plan if you are young and fit. Well, there is no assurance on when an illness or accident can strike. So, it is wise for everyone, irrespective of their age and health condition, to get a good health insurance cover. Also, when you are young, the coverage is available at a lower cost. Take advantage of this and buy a plan right away.
2. You get coverage as soon as you buy the plan: Not always. Some medical insurance plans have a waiting period. Certain illnesses are covered only after the waiting period lapses. So, when you buy the plan, make sure you read the policy wordings carefully to understand how soon you can make a claim.
3. The cheapest plan is the best option: This is perhaps the biggest medical insurance myth out there. You cannot get a coverage by just looking at the plan’s price tag! You need to see what the features are. Health needs are people specific, so you need a plan that suits your requirements. Your ideal plan should be affordable, but not always the cheapest option.
4. Employer provided group insurance is enough: Most employers offer group health insurance plans to their employees. While these are good, the coverage is limited. You therefore need to back it up with a plan of your own.
5. Pregnancy is never included in health insurance: This is another massive myth that prevents good quality maternity care from reaching many women. Maternity is widely included in most family floater health insurance plans. You can also buy special maternity health insurance plans. There are waiting periods associated with such plans, so do keep an eye for that.
6. Hospitalization is a must: You don’t always need to be admitted to a hospital to make a claim on your health plan. You get claims for daycare procedures, OPD expenses, diagnostics tests, etc. too.
7. Online plans are fraudulent: It is sad to see people believing in this myth in the present-day digital age. Online health insurance is very safe and is actually much sought after. You get some of the best and the most economical deals when you purchase an online health insurance plan.
8. Pre-existing illnesses will never be covered: A vast number of pre-existing health conditions are covered in medical insurance, albeit after a pre-decided waiting period.
9. Customizations are seldom possible: You can customize your health insurance plan with the help of riders. Riders are Add-on covers that are available at an added cost.
Stay away of these baseless and outdated health insurance myths. You need a good medical insurance policy to take care of yourself and your loved ones. Go ahead and find a good plan and live a happy, healthy and stress-free life.
Also, read: Health Insurance for Women
Want to post any comments?
Get affordable Standard Health Insurance Policy Online.
Plans starting from Rs. 3,099/year*
Bike insurance background checks in India: Why & how?
Team Acko Dec 9, 2021
Health Insurance for Diabetes Patients in India
Team Acko Dec 8, 2021
Is Third-party car Insurance really useful?
Team Acko Dec 8, 2021
What questions do two-wheeler insurance companies ask and why?
Team Acko Dec 7, 2021
Car Insurance Background Check in India: Why & How?
Team Acko Dec 2, 2021
ACKO General Insurance Limited
2nd Floor, #36/5, Hustlehub One East, Somasandrapalya, 27th Main road, Sector 2, HSR Layout, Bengaluru, Karnataka - 560102
We’re socially active!
Download our app
Articles on insurance
IRDAI Registration No: 157
Category: Non-Life Insurance
The use of images and brands are only for the purpose of indication and illustration. ACKO claims no rights on the IP rights of any third parties. The ratings are derived from reviews and feedback received from Google and Facebook users on their respective platforms. | *Savings of upto Rs. 50,000 have been calculated on the IDV of Rs. 18,00,000 and 0% NCB. Amount saved is in comparison to tariff rates. Product name: Private Car Policy - Bundled | UIN: IRDAN157RP0014V01201819 |
Trade logo displayed above belongs to ACKO Technology & Services Pvt Ltd and used by ACKO General insurance Limited under License. For more details on risk factors, terms, conditions and exclusions, please read the policy wordings carefully before concluding a sale.