A standard comprehensive car insurance policy solely covers repairs to your car if they are related to some kind of accident. However, there are exceptions. Unless you have an add-on cover specifically added to your car insurance, your car’s engine is not covered. In other words, your regular comprehensive insurance will not cover the repair or replacement of engine or parts such as connecting rods, pistons, etc. When you are thinking of buying car insurance, it is a good idea to check additional coverages because they can be very helpful. Read more to learn about Engine Protection Cover Add-on in car insurance and its benefits.
- What is Engine Protection Cover Add-on in Car Insurance?
- How Does It Work?
- How To Buy Engine Protection Add-on?
- Features and Benefits of the Car Engine Protection Cover:
- Exclusion of Engine Protection Add-on:
- Engine Protection Add-on Can Be Ideal for You:
- Private Car Package Policy – Add-ons: Engine Protect
- Commercial Vehicle Package Policy – Add-on: Engine Protect
- How To Claim Car Insurance for Engine Protection Add-on?
- Who Should Buy the Engine Protection Add-on Cover?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Engine Protection Add-on Cover:
What is Engine Protection Cover Add-on in Car Insurance?
Bought as additional coverage with the Comprehensive car insurance policy, engine protection cover in car insurance provides coverage towards damages or losses to the insured vehicle’s engine. The add-on compensates you for the replacement or repair of your car’s engine or parts. This can be due to leakage of lubricant oil, water ingression, damage to components such as gearbox, pistons, connecting rods, etc., as well as due to hydrostatic lock, caused when you start the wet engine.
Monsoon can be unpredictable sometimes and can cause severe damage to the engine of the car if water enters. Replacement or repair of engine parts could cost you a lot of money. In such situations, the Engine Protection Cover can come to your rescue since the regular comprehensive car insurance does not cover the engine and its parts.
How Does It Work?
To understand how the Engine Protection (EP) in car insurance, here is an example of how the add-on works:
Suppose you have left your home closed as you are visiting your native place for a vacation or a function and there is a heavy downpour. Your neighbour calls you to inform you that the rainwater has entered your house and your car has submerged in the rainwater. This is a case wherein water ingression is bound to occur.
The cost to repair or replace engine parts such as pistons, connecting rods, gearbox parts, etc. is about Rs.1,20,000. With just the standard comprehensive policy, these parts are not covered and hence you will have to pay it from your pocket. However, if you had bought the Engine Protection Add-on by paying a slightly higher premium, you could have avoided paying from your pocket. The insurance company will cover the cost based on the additional coverage.
Generally, the cost of the engine protection add-on is about 2% of the current market value of the car, this also depends on the model of the car. With the engine covered under the additional coverage, you can save a lot of money by getting the insurance company to bear the engine repair bill.
How To Buy Engine Protection Add-on?
You can buy car engine protection add-on along with the comprehensive car insurance. This is offered as additional coverage and is not part of the standard comprehensive policy. Below are the steps to buy Engine Protect Cover as an additional benefit through the online method:
- Step 1: Visit the car insurance company’s website or its mobile app.
- Step 2: Select to buy/renew comprehensive car insurance.
- Step 3: You may be prompted to include add-ons such as Engine Protection, select the same.
- Step 4: Pay the premium amount and get your policy instantly to your email address.
Features and Benefits of the Car Engine Protection Cover:
The Engine Protection Cover is in addition to the regular comprehensive cover with unique features and benefits. The insurance company will reimburse up to the amount specified in the policy for expenses towards repair or replacement of engine parts that are damaged. Below are the features and benefits of Car Engine Protection Add-on:
- Damage due to leakage of lubricating oil inside the engine is covered.
- Damages caused due to water entering the car engine.
- Physical damages to components of the engine such as gearbox, pistons, connecting rods, etc.
- Damages arising out of a hydrostatic lock, caused when trying to start the car when the water has entered the engine.
- Beneficial, especially during monsoons, flooding, natural calamities, etc.
- It is also beneficial if you have bought a new car or if you have an expensive car since the bill for engine repair or replacement of parts can be expensive.
Also, read: Car Insurance Glossary
Exclusion of Engine Protection Add-on:
Like all insurance policies, there are some exclusions in the Engine Protection Cover add-on. Read on to find out what is not covered in the Engine Protection Cover Add-on:
1. Force-Start the Engine
When the car is submerged in the water, there is a good chance that water has entered the engine. Do not start the engine forcefully, this can lead to rejection of the claim.
2. Consequential Damages
The policy will not cover consequential damages or losses if the insured vehicle is driven after an accident. Insurers tend to reject the claim during such incidents.
3. Limited Claims
During the policy period, the policyholder can raise only two claims against the Engine Protection Add-on. This add-on is offered with limited validity.
4. Car’s Age Limit
The add-on is not available for cars older than 5 years. Hence, it is limited only to cars which are not more than 5 years old.
Also, read: Vehicle Scrappage Policy in India
Engine Protection Add-on Can Be Ideal for You:
When do you buy engine protection cover along with comprehensive car insurance? This add-on is an excellent add-on for you:
- If you live in a flood-prone area.
- If you own an expensive car.
- If you bought a new car.
- If you want to cover all risks and not leave it to chance.
- If you are looking for that extra cover for the engine too.
Please note that the coverage differs between insurance companies. It is essential to read the terms and conditions carefully before opting for the same.
Private Car Package Policy – Add-ons: Engine Protect
The insurance provider will reimburse the cost to repair or replace engine parts such as gearbox, pistons, connecting rods, etc. However, there are some exclusions for private cars as well. Below are the details:
- Damages due to normal wear and tear.
- Not informing the insurance company.
- If the driver is found driving the insured vehicle under the influence of alcohol or intoxicating substances.
- If the driver was found to have an invalid driving licence or does not have a DL.
- If the damage was due to illegal racing.
- Any claims which are covered under other types of insurance policy with another insurer or warranty which includes a recall campaign.
- Cost of lubricants in case of damage to the engine arising out of leakage.
- Repair carried out without informing the insurance company will not be considered.
Commercial Vehicle Package Policy – Add-on: Engine Protect
The Engine Protection add-on is available for commercial vehicles as well. Here are the exclusions of the add-on for commercial cars or vehicles:
- Damages due to regular wear and tear.
- Repair or replacement is done without informing the insurance company.
- Damages to the engine or its components while driving the vehicle under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substances.
- Damage arising out of an accident and the driver is found to be underage.
- Damage due to an accident when the driver does not hold a valid driving licence.
- Damages, losses or corrosion due to water ingression due to delay in informing the insurance company.
- Any claims which are under the car manufacturer’s warranty period or under any recall scheme.
- Cost of lubricants in case of a claim for leakage or flushing of consumables.
- Any repairs carried out without informing the insurer.
Also, read: Riots & Insurance
How To Claim Car Insurance for Engine Protection Add-on?
To raise a claim to repair or replace components of your car engine is similar to the process to raise a claim for your comprehensive car insurance. By following a few steps you can register a claim car insurance for engine protection cover:
- Step 1: Inform your insurance company about the damages or losses to your car’s engine components.
- Step 2: The insurance provider will assign a surveyor to assess the damage to settle the claim.
- Step 3: You can get a reimbursement for the repair bill towards the repair or replacement of engine parts such as pistons, connecting rods, gearbox, etc.
Who Should Buy the Engine Protection Add-on Cover?
An engine protection add-on is an additional coverage to your regular comprehensive car insurance policy. Since it is an exclusive cover, here are a few reasons why or why you should buy the add-on cover:
- If you are living/working in a flood-prone area and there are chances of flooding.
- If you bought a new car or an expensive luxury car, the engine components are expensive to repair or replace.
- If you want to avoid financial risks and not take chances, the engine protection cover provides an extra layer to the standard car insurance policy.
Also, read: Return To Invoice Cover (RTI) in Car Insurance
Car Engine Maintenance Tips
It is always prudent to take care of your car and avoid unwanted loss or damage. Here are a few car engine maintenance tips to keep it running in excellent conditions:
- Check car engine oil levels regularly to avoid any unwanted damages to the internal components of the engine.
- Do not miss servicing your car as per the schedule and ensure you change parts such as air filters whenever required. This will ensure your car engine is in good condition at all times.
- Do not stress the engine out by accelerating higher or overheating it, it may cause irreparable damage to the engine components thereby reducing the engine life.
Also, read: Electric Car Insurance
Frequently Asked Questions About Engine Protection Add-on Cover:
Below are some of the common queries about engine protection cover:
No comprehensive or own damage insurance does not cover damages or losses to engine parts or components.
The car engine is the most expensive part of your car and hence any repair or replacement of engine parts are expensive as well. A car engine protection add-on will cover damages or losses to the engine components and thereby it acts as a shield against any unforeseen cost to repair the engine.
There is a possibility that components such as pistons, connecting rods, gearbox, etc. could be damaged and may need a replacement or need to be repaired. The cost to repair the car engine is an expensive affair. Buy the car engine protection add-on to cover damages or losses to your car engine.
- List of Add-On Covers in Car Insurance
- Car Insurance for Minor Damages
- Garage Cash Cover
- Anti-theft Devices and a Car Insurance Plan
- Consumable Cover Add-on in Car Insurance
Read informative Car Insurance Articles at Acko.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.