India has a rich history of diverse cultures and traditions. One such tradition is Ayurveda. It offers cures for a host of diseases and helps a person in building immunity. In the current situation the world is looking for both – precaution and cure. Here Ayurveda can play a vital role. Regular practices of Ayurveda can help boost immunity to fight Coronavirus.
Ayurveda is a type of alternative medicine that originated in India around 6000 BC. It is said that initially Ayurveda existed as an oral tradition and may have been around since the time of Indus Valley Civilization. Ayurveda is also included as a form of official alternative medicine in the AYUSH Ministry of India. The ministry focuses on development and research related to Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH).
How to Boost Immunity with the Help of Ayurveda:
Following these Ayurvedic techniques on a regular basis will help in building immunity and stay mentally as well as physically healthy. Below are some of the ways in which you can boost your immunity through Ayurvedic methods:
1) Herbal Mixture:
One can follow simple herbal remedies to first cleanse their respiratory system and then strengthen it. Take Mahasudarshan Churna, Talisadi, Abhrak Bhasma and Sitopaladi in powdered form and mix them together. Ingesting half a teaspoon of this mixture 3 times every day will help in building immunity. One can also add a pinch of Sitopaladi or Talisadi to their regular tea.
2) Warm Water:
Drinking warm water throughout the day is beneficial for the body. Since the human body is about 60% water, it needs water in adequate levels to keep functioning properly. The connection between drinking water and better immunity can be accounted to the oxygen-carrying capacity of water. When you drink enough water, your body and in turn cells, get plenty of oxygen.
Additionally, water helps in removing toxins from the body. These toxins can lead to diseases thus when you drink enough water they are eliminated from the body. This reduces the chances of you contracting a disease.
3) Practice Yoga:
Yoga is a form of physical and mental exercise that has proven benefits for improving overall health. This practice is ancient and dates back to the pre-Vedic Indian traditions. The word ‘yog’ loosely translates to ‘union’. Thus, by practising yoga one can be attached to the divine. Yoga is extremely beneficial for the body as a form of exercise as well. Through Yoga, one can achieve the following:
- Better immunity and health
- Control over the mind and body
- Better focus
Also, read: Coronavirus Helpline Number, India
According to Ayurveda, one should include Haldi (Turmeric), Dhaniya (Coriander), Jeera (Cumin) and Lahsun (Garlic) in their daily diet. Each of these ingredients has medicinal properties that help in strengthening the body in various ways.
- Turmeric: It has bioactive compound curcumin, that is known for its anti-inflammatory effects. Turmeric is also a strong antioxidant.
- Cumin: The seeds of the Cumin plant are ingested with water to solve gastric issues like bowel spasms, colic, diarrhoea, and gas.
- Coriander: The leaves and seeds of the Coriander plant are widely used in Indian cuisines. It is helpful in getting relief from upset stomach, hernia, toothaches, worms, nausea, etc.
- Garlic: This is an ancient ingredient that has been used throughout the history of Indians, Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese and Babylonians as a powerful medicine. It has multiple health benefits due to its high content of sulfur compounds. Garlic also contains Vitamin C and Vitamin B6. These vitamins help in keeping cold and cough away while helping with better immunity.
5) Eat Chyawanprash:
Eating about 1 teaspoon of Chyawanprash every morning will help in improving your immunity. The word ‘Chyawanprash’ is a combination of two words – ‘Chyawan’, the sage who created this formula and ‘Prash’ means to consume. Chyawanprash is made from a huge number of spices and herbs that have unique medicinal properties. One can also consume sugar-free Chyawanprash as well. It has the following health benefits:
- Builds immunity
- Helps in detoxification of the body
- Improves overall strength and energy
- Strengthens the respiratory health
- Controls Glucose and Cholesterol levels
- Helps in weight management
- Promotes healthy skin
- Improves memory
- Promotes fertility
- Better functioning of the heart
6) Herbal Tea:
Prepare a decoction of basil, cinnamon, black pepper, dry ginger, and raisin by adding Jaggery or lemon juice. Add Jaggery to the tea if you are having it hot or lemon for cold tea. Here are the medicinal uses of each ingredient:
- Basil: It contains Vitamins A, C, K, manganese, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, and iron. These help in relief from kidney conditions, fluid retention, cold and cough, and loss of appetite.
- Cinnamon: It is an aromatic spice that is retrieved from the inner bark of the Cinnamon tree. It is an antioxidant that is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Cinnamon can have a positive effect on the heart and can help lower blood sugar levels. It is also effective against bacterial and fungal infection.
- Black pepper: These seeds are widely used in Ayurvedic medicines as black pepper is considered to be a healing spice. It is an antidepressant and has powerful antibacterial properties. Black pepper relieves cold and cough, thus it may be effective against COVID-19. Additionally, it improves dental health.
- Dry Ginger: Ginger in any form is full of nutrients and bioactive compounds. Its main constituent in Gingerol that has strong medicinal properties. It is actively used in alternative medicine including Ayurveda.
- Raisin: These provide natural sugar and are loaded with various vitamins, electrolytes like sodium and potassium, and minerals. Raisins help in weight management, reduce the risk of cancer, improve eyesight, and are good for bones due to high calcium content.
- Jaggery: It reduces the toxin levels and free radicals in the body. These work as anti-ageing and promote overall health.
- Lemon juice: Lemon is a citrus fruit that contains Vitamin C in large amounts. Vitamin C helps in fighting common cold and cough. That are the main symptoms of COVID-19.
7) Golden Milk:
Add half a teaspoon turmeric to hot milk and have this mixture twice a day. Consuming this mixture will help you keep cold and cough away.
Also, read: Ways To Remain Healthy During Social Distancing
Cleansing the Nasal and Oral Passages:
According to Ayurveda, it is important to keep your nasal passage clean and avoid entry to any unwanted particles or viruses. For cleansing the nasal passage, take warm sesame oil/coconut oil or Ghee in small amounts and apply in the nostrils. Do this activity twice a day according to your comfort levels.
Additionally, you can take 1 tablespoon sesame oil or coconut oil and swirl it in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not swallow. Then rinse with warm water. This can be done once or twice a day.
Also, read: COVID-19 Health Insurance
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here are a few answers to the questions you may have.
You can take a look at the following things you can do to treat dry cough or sore throat. However, you need to visit a doctor immediately if it persists for more than 2 days.
> Add Mint leaves or Caraway seeds (Ajwain) to hot water and inhale the steam. This can be done once a day.
> Add powdered clove to honey or jaggery and consume this mixture in small quantities 2 to 3 times a day.
You should immediately visit a hospital if you have a fever along with a runny nose and sore throat. These are the symptoms of COVID-19 and you should not try to self-medicate with Ayurveda. It is a preventive measure and should not be confused with treatment.
An Ayurvedic diet helps in improving your overall health as opposed to other diet plans that specifically focus on weight management. It has guidelines that a person should follow concerning when, what, and how much should a person eat. The ayurvedic diet emphasizes eating minimally processed foods and urges a person to stay active with the help of yoga.
- All About The Novel Coronavirus and COVID-19
- How To Receive Free COVID-19 Consultation Online
- Coronavirus Testing Labs In India
- Ayurveda’s immunity boosting measures for self care during COVID 19 crisis, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Government of India, https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/ImmunityBoostingAYUSHAdvisory.pdf
Read informative Health Insurance Articles at Acko.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.