When you insure your car from an insurance company, it offers you the car’s insurance policy. This policy is specific to you and it contains details about the car, premium calculation, and the expiry date of the policy. Sometimes, these details might be incorrect. Therefore, it is advisable to check the car insurance policy as soon as you receive it. And if there are any discrepancies, you need to get the issue resolved with the insurance company. This process of rectification is known as making an endorsement in a car insurance policy.
Potential and existing policyholders usually have doubts regarding endorsements in a car insurance policy. But what exactly is an endorsement? It is nothing but any type of change that you wish to or need to make in your car insurance policy.
For example, if you come across a misprint in your policy document, you should raise an endorsement request. However, this is not the only scenario in which you can ask for making a change in your policy. Read ahead to acquaint yourself with various things that you need to know about endorsements in a car insurance policy.
- What is Endorsement in Insurance?
- Endorsement of Policies in Car Insurance:
- Insurance Endorsement Validity:
- How Often Can an Endorsement Be Made?
- What are the Different Types of Endorsements That You Can Make?
- Informing the Insurance Provider:
- Impact of Endorsements on Premium:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Endorsement in Insurance?
Endorsement in insurance pertains to changing the details mentioned in the policyholder’s policy document. If you are wondering what is the simple meaning of endorsement, then it can be understood as making slight modifications in the existing policy.
Endorsement of Policies in Car Insurance:
Endorsement in a car insurance policy is mostly initiated by the policyholder. It involves making changes in the car’s insurance policy. Depending upon the insurance company’s process, they might cancel the previously held policy and issue a new policy with the necessary modifications and mention that it has been endorsed. Thus, an endorsement can be viewed as an agreement between the policyholder and the insurance company regarding the incorporation of changes in the insurance policy.
For understanding purposes, endorsements can be divided into two types: basic and advanced. Basic endorsements can be changes in the name or address, while advanced changes are usually related to amendments and additions in the Comprehensive car insurance policy that have a direct impact on the scope of the policy.
Insurance Endorsement Validity:
Endorsements usually happen just after the policy is purchased. They can be done during the policy period or before renewal as well. The validity of the endorsement should last until the policy expires; however, the exact details might vary depending upon the type of endorsement and the insurance company’s terms and conditions.
After a week since policy issuance, you want to opt for a Voluntary Deductible. You raise an endorsement request for the same. The insurance company makes the necessary changes and sends across an endorsed policy document. This change will last until the policy is terminated, expired, or further modified.
How Often Can an Endorsement Be Made?
Policyholders believe that it is okay to make any number of endorsements in their policy during the policy period. But that’s not the case. Remember that it is okay to make an endorsement once or twice a year, not more thRemember that it is okay to make an endorsement once or twice a year, not more than that. You should avoid making frequent changes to your policy as this can lead to confusion while updating the records. This, in turn, can cost you at the time of claims. How often an endorsement can be made depends upon the nature of the endorsement, terms and conditions of the policy, and the insurance company’s rules and regulations.an that. You should avoid making frequent changes to your policy as this can lead to mistakes while updating the records. This, in turn, can cost you at the time of claims.
What are the Different Types of Endorsements That You Can Make?
The extent of endorsements in a car insurance policy can vary from the simplest to the most complex of changes.
Here are some types of endorsements in car insurance.
- Modifications made in the policy owner’s name.
- Modifications made in the policy owner’s address.
- Modifications made in the policy owner’s contact number.
- Changes made to the insured vehicle’s engine number.
- Changes made to the insured vehicle’s chassis number.
- Changes made to the insured vehicle’s registration number.
- Changes made to the insured vehicle’s fuel mode. For example, Petrol to CNG.
- Significant changes made to the insured vehicle’s interior or exterior.
- Amendments made to the insured car’s policy coverage in the form of Add-ons.
- Amendments made to the insured car’s Anti-theft Devices.
- Amendments made to the insured car’s policy coverage in the form of Voluntary Deductible.
- Errors in premium calculation.
- Errors in the calculation of No Claim Bonus.
How to Make an Endorsement in Your Car Insurance Policy:
To carry out an endorsement, you may need to submit a request letter to your insurer along with the required documents. Once the insurance company receives your request, the endorsement process begins and necessary actions will be taken after it is approved.
The change is officially recorded with the help of the endorsement certificate. This document states the amendments and additions in the existing terms of your car insurance policy. A new car insurance policy with adjusted details will be sent to you.
Here’s a step-wise process concerning how to make an endorsement for better understanding.
- Step 1 – Call your insurance company (Example: Acko) and ask them about the process to be followed to make an endorsement in the policy.
- Step 2 – The insurance company might direct you to an online process via a link or ask you to write an email or submit a written endorsement request.
- Step 3 – Submit appropriate documents to support your endorsement request. If you are unsure about the required documents, ask the insurance company for the same. For example, if you want to endorse the policy as you have added a CNG kit to your car, you might need to submit the vehicle’s Registration Certificate (RC), which states the installation of such a kit.
- Step 4 – The insurance company will verify the application.
- Step 5 – If the application is approved, necessary applicable changes in the premium calculation shall be made.
- Step 6 – Insurer will issue the Endorsement Certificate.
- Step 7 – Insurer will issue the new policy reflecting the changes made.
Informing the Insurance Provider:
There might be occasions where you have made changes to your vehicle but do not feel that you need to initiate an endorsement for it. However, it is advisable to inform the insurer about any changes made to the insured vehicle. This way, if you are not sure whether the modification warrants an endorsement or not, the insurer can take that call.
Impact of Endorsements on Premium:
Enhancing the aesthetic appeal of your car can increase the vehicle’s Insured Declared Value and therefore the premium. Alternatively, installation of Anti-theft Devices can reduce the premium. If such changes are made midway during the policy period, you need to make endorsements. Therefore, endorsements can increase or decrease the insurance premium based on their nature. If the insurer is not informed about the changes made to the insured vehicle, the company can refuse to settle the claim due to lack of transparency.
Steps to Buy Car Insurance Online
Making endorsements via the online process is much easier as compared to the offline process. If you have been thinking of switching to an online insurer, read ahead for assistance.
Nowadays many car owners prefer to buy car insurance online. However, they may randomly buy a car insurance policy without following the proper process. Thus, there are chances that one might be over or underinsured. Here is the step-by-step process to buy car insurance online that will help you get the best policy:
1. Know your requirements
You must have noticed that even if you and your friend have the same car model, you might pay a different premium amount for buying a car insurance policy. This is because your requirements may differ. To understand your requirements better, find answers to the following questions while buying motor insurance online.
- Which type of car insurance policy do I need?
- Which add-ons are suitable for my needs?
- What is the ideal IDV (Insured Declared Value) of my car?
2. Compare policies
When you know your exact requirements, narrow down suitable car insurance policies. Then proceed to compare car insurance for their features, cost, and services offered by the insurer. This is one of the biggest advantages of buying motor insurance online.
3. Complete the purchase journey
Select a plan that you feel is the best suited for you by visiting the insurer’s website. Enter the required details related to you and your car and make it a point to go through technicalities like terms and conditions, inclusions and exclusions, etc. before making the online payment.
Here’s how you can buy or renew your policy from an online car insurance company.
- Step 1 – Visit a new-age online insurer’s website. For example, www.acko.com
- Step 2 – Select ‘buy or renew’ car insurance.
- Step 3 – Share personal and car-related details.
- Step 4 – Answer a few basic questions.
- Step 5 – Select the preferred coverage.
- Step 6 – Make an online payment.
- Step 7 – Receive the policy and verify the details.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Here are some commonly asked questions concerning endorsements in car insurance.
Yes, such issues need to be rectified via an endorsement.
Making an endorsement in a vehicle insurance policy can be done free of cost. However, there might be changes in the payable premium depending upon the types of changes made.
Endorsements should be made at the earliest. If you spot an issue or want to make a change in the policy, do it as soon as possible.
A Third-party Liability policy is less complex as compared to a Comprehensive plan. Therefore, issues related to Insured Declared Value, No Claim Bonus, etc. do not matter over there. Basic changes such as changes in name, address, premium calculation, etc. can be made.
Inform the insurance company at the earliest and get the issue rectified. The insurance company will verify the details and issue a new policy for you.
- Car Insurance Policy For Your Next Road Trip
- Third-Party Car Insurance
- Roadside Assistance in Car Insurance – 24×7 RSA Cover Benefits
- Effect of Anti-Theft Device and its Impact on Car Insurance Premium
Read informative Car Insurance Articles at Acko.
Read all our insurance & non insurance related articles here.